Following on from paddling Felix's canoe at Beale Park Boat show. I left her to dry for a couple of weeks.
At the show she leaked a little which seemed to be concentrated around the stem that I didn't pour varnish around!
After a day of paddling the leaking did stop and I put this down to swelling of the timber but as she is a canoe that won't spend all its time in the water I Want to cure this altogether by hopefully sealing her further with varnish.
With that in mind I decided to let her dry and repeat the process I used on the other end to effect a seal.
I mixed up some 50 /50 turps and varnish.
Then I poured it around the stem.
I lifted the opposite end of the canoe a few times to let it run further along between the ribs planking and stem. Lifting it right up above my head to work it up the far end.
Then I left it overnight with the opposite end still propped a little higher.
Next day I could see there was a little leakage.
So I repeated the process with thinned varnish and next time I will use a full thickness varnish as before and repeat a few more times.
That's all for now
Halloween on The Broads 2019 Day 2
November 6, 2019
A Little Paddle to Wansford for lunch. (Well, Sandwiches and a Mug of Tea!)